Monday 31 May 2010

Student Safety/Bullying
: Who's responsibility is it to teach students to be safe online?



If my students are using computers in my classroom, it is my responsibility to teach them how to be safe and also how to be accountable for their actions and comments. Our jobs as educators should be to teach and prepare kids to become safe and responsible digital users. When I teach my first graders how to read, I also have to teach them how to take care of the books and teach them how to choose ‘just right’ and appropriate books. When I teach them how to work in groups, I first have to teach them how to communicate properly, how to take turns, and how to listen respectfully to one another. The same rules apply for working with the Internet and computers. Students should learn that working alone or collaborate online is not much different that working together face to face. All the rules we have for face-to-face meetings should apply when working online. Parents of course play a big role in helping us teach students to be safe online, they are the ones who get computers for their kids; they are the ones who buy the software and games. They need to make sure they themselves understand the ramifications of cyber safety and cyber bullying so that they can better educate their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment