Wednesday 2 June 2010

Privacy Online: Is there such a thing as privacy online?

Yes there is, or at least there should be. With the amount banking and shopping we do online, there has to be programs out there to protect our privacy. I feel like there is a different between posting your information for social or even educational networking and private Internet usage. I purchase all my flight tickets online and I often buy books or music online as well, but that does not mean that everyone out there has the right to my passwords and credit card information. Now if I post a picture of myself and add a phone number or another piece of personal information, then yes, I have set myself up for allowing others to collect my information. I guess I am not too concerned about my photo floating around in someone else’s page (as suggested in the article Beware: the Internet could own your future by Husna Najand) because I’m not sure it matters. While I agree that we live in an era where candid camera shots can easily passed around, I’m just not sure that it’s so dangerous. Maybe I’m just naïve and want to believe that people and perhaps future employers will take those kinds of information with a grain of salt. Getting back to the idea of privacy online, I suppose that there is such a think as privacy online but I guess we have to then go onto defining what privacy means.

No comments:

Post a Comment