Friday 9 April 2010

How are my thoughts changining?

Bloom's Taxonomy was used and talked about greatly during my years in college when I was studying to become a teacher. We discussed it, dissected it, studied it, memorized it and believed that it would be just as useful 10 years from now as it was back then. Althought, I still sometimes bring it out and use it to help me with structuring my lessons and assignments, writing blurbs for my newsletters, and (maybe most often) for when it comes time to write comments on our progress reports, I am beginning to see that vocabulary and skills no longer all apply to our 21st century students, who are all now learning in a very different manner. 



The article Bloom's Taxonomy Blooms Digitally was a perfect way of taking a great idea and extending it to incorporate technology and the learning styles of our students. I teach grade 1 and the first stage on Bloom's Taxonomy is knowledge and which has always made a lot of sense to me. Students need to know 'stuff' before they can process to applying that knowledge and learn more. However, reading how Lorin Anderson changed the the first stage from knowledge to remembering has made me re-evaluate how our jobs have changed. Of course we need to teach students information and help them move forward to achieve Higher Order Thinking Skills, but isn't it more important that students are taught the skills of finding the information?



I really like how the article says "[Remembering] infers the retrieval of material. This is a key element given to the growth in knowledge and information." At my grade level, this is exactly what we want students to learn, how to retrieve information taught and use it to learn more or to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment