Friday 9 April 2010

Reflecting on your reading: Writing a project sketch

I just finished a course that touched upon PBL's and the final project was to create a PBL for our grade level. I was working on this fantastic unit about weather using all the new ideas I had just learned about but then when I went back to my class and tried to implement the unit, I very quickly realized that the project was far to grand and extensive for my grade 1 kids. I started thinking about what I needed to change in order to make this PBL work for young kids who are just still learning how to read and write and gather ideas and form opinions. I guess I'm still trying to decide if 6 year olds are ready for Project Based Learning and learning through social networking and online communities. Do the students have enough prior knowledge to really make PBL truly meaningful and relevant? Are there social networks for kids that are appropriate?



I was trying to answer these questions and came acorss a first grade classroom in New Zealand where they posted work they had done with "The Lorax" by Dr. Seuss. We will be working with the book for Earth Day and I'm now trying to see if we can get in touch with them and maybe have the kids share ideas and see what comes out of it. It might be fun for kids to not only compare ideas but also writing styles, artwork and information. I am starting to think that social networking is more useful for teachers in the lower grades; and that the students will benefit from these forums through us and our research and networking.

No comments:

Post a Comment